Jands Lighting
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Hello Im new at all this 
Registered
Registered

Post Hello Im new at all this
Hello I'm new at all of this lighting controllers. I have been old school with faders and sliders in church lighting. My question is a mixed one, I've seen the stage CL and it looks easy for LEDS, but we have some moving lights. I have seen a lot of churches are using Vista Byron software, my question is what is the big difference using this software and getting a dongle to set sense or using the M1 ? is it the same software? What would you recommend for a church using 15-20 LEDS 6 movers. some bar lights and making some Led strip light? I getting confused the move I search Help please?

Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Hello Im new at all this
Hi Stancab

We all were new once...

Coming from someone who works in this space regularly, and also having used and recommended both the Stage CL and Vista to various churches.

Here are a few of my thoughts.

Stage CL is great for static LED fixtures even conventional dimmers, Moving lights although technically possible via bizarre patching and control methods, it would really not be recommended. The CL is a great desk for live busking during services with smaller rigs, by using very simple intuitive control for grab these lights and make them this color or make a simple chase or effect happen on these group of lights.

You can store Cue list and scenes, and that you would be familiar with in the sense of its a lot like your traditional Lighting desk process.

When you step into the world of Software things change, You gain access to all the functions of the very best professional lighting controllers and this makes controlling Moving/Intelligent Fixtures elegant and easy, along with all your other lights.

I think dongle you refer to is just a Licence Key, you would still need to buy a Physical hardware device to get the DMX out of your computer. this can be via a USB Interface or a Wing with faders buttons like the M1.

Basically the Software is identical with any solution and its all up to budget as to which way you go.

If you were not to buy a Wing you could still operate and control lights effectively in a live environment Via a touch screen but its not as simple if you don't have a dedicated operator on for the service, IE the Screens or Sound operator wants to just quickly control or change the lights.

Having a wing like the M1 just adds that level of playback control that's super intuitive for anyone regardless of if they know anything about lights or not. and it allows fine tactile control in live time of your lights, plus it has the DMX outs built in.

In either case i would recommend a touchscreen computer like an All in One Desktop for usable screen sizes, And IMO i think the volunteer environment calls for a Hardware controller as per the reasons stated above.

Hope this helps please feel free to ask any more Questions or if you need any more detail.

JJ

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 pm
Registered
Registered

Thank you JJ for taking the time for the info. I think its now about price and having one person to set up the scenes with a software package to start with. In our church we still have to be able to make some changes on the fly, example last Sunday on our 3rd service we had a change of keyboard player and he kicks off the 2nd song instead of the 1st one, so everybody just rolled with it, I was running lights with no problem because I still had Faders and sliders. I would have felt like a Deer in the headlight look, if we were using preset settings. but I guess we can learn what to do if the unexpected happens or the worship leaders throws in another chorus (lol)

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:06 pm
Contributor
Contributor

In this situation you still would have been ok running of a computer based system with physical hardware or not.

with a touch screen only all you would do is grab the fixtures that are covering your keys position and turn them on using the programmer that way no matter what playback or cues you are using it would stay on.

with a fader wing you could have a Fader with your band wash on it and set the priority to programmer this also will not be overridden by other faders or playback cues.

I'm trying to determine if you think running lighting Via software means its not changeable on the fly?

" I would have felt like a Deer in the headlight look, if we were using preset settings "

Busking on the fly in Vista even purely via a touch screen is very achievable.

JJ

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:00 pm
Registered
Registered

Hello, I am a new member too. I would like to say hello to everybody. :)

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:26 am
Profile WWW