Jands Lighting
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Software 
Registered
Registered

Post Software
I did a little bit of searching and couldn't find anything on this......

Is it possible to run a very simple rig with the software only and no console or do I have to buy a console. We are working with a very limited budget.

Thanks!!!

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 pm
Registered
Registered

Post Re: Software
Why yes it is possible to run a rig off of the software its self, it is quite hard, I use it alone for my home programming station which consists of 5 RGBW Pars, a couple of warm spots and washes and 2 blacklight wash boards, by just using the software to run all of this it gets pretty difficult, but if your willing to take the challenge of it being very difficult to do than go as you please, but get a console as soon as possible, even something as cheap as a heavily used M1 board would work, you can find them online for as cheap as 1,300. (still pretty expensive but not bad compared to other boards) or if you do some digging you can find one heavily used (maybe partly disabled though) for around $800. Hope this helps!

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 am
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post Re: Software
It is possible for sure. You do, however, need 2 things for it to work.

1) a channel license. You have to buy this in order for jands to output any DMX.
2) a way to get DMX out of the computer. You have a few options. You can go the USB-to-DMX route, in which case you need the Jands specific USB-DMX cable. The other route is something like artnet, or sACN. You can get a node that will convert the network protocols into DMX. That's probably cheaper than going the USB-DMX route. Enttec makes one that's fairly cheap.

Hope this helps!
-Tyler

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 am